City Strategic Goals
City of Ashland Strategic Priorities 2022 through 2026
- By 2022, pedestrians and cyclists will experience safe passage crossing the highway to reach the lakeside.
By 2023, City of Ashland residents and visitors will experience consistent, reliable and affordable high-speed internet access throughout the City.
By 2022, City of Ashland residents and businesses will have access to reliable and reasonably priced City water, sewer, stormwater and streets through the development and implementation of a 20-year repair and replacement plan, supported by budget plans on 5-year increments.
By 2024, City of Ashland residents and visitors will experience improved access to and from Ashland via Lake Superior through the installation of a commercial boat access point at the Marina and additional recreational access points along the shore.
By 2026, Taxpayers and City employees will have access to and work in City buildings and facilities that project the historical character of the City, generate lower operating costs, and have extended life spans
Economic Growth and Strength
In alignment with the City of Ashland’s Economic Development Plan, the community will experience increased economic growth as evidenced by:
- By 2025, residents and visitors to Main Street will experience a 25% increase in the number and diversity of businesses and amenities.
- By 2024, residents and visitors to areas other than Main Street will experience a 15% increase in the number and diversity of businesses and amenities.
- By 2025, residents and visitors to the City’s Waterfront will experience a 25% increase in the number and diversity of businesses and amenities.
- Beginning in 2026, City of Ashland residents and visitors will experience a cleaner Lake Superior as evidenced by the elimination of wastewater overflow spills.
- By 2026, Ashland public beaches will be open 75% of the time during the swimming season, providing greater access to our residents and visitors.
- By 2025, through the adoption of a Climate Change Resiliency and Adaptation Plan, the City of Ashland will have the ability to anticipate, prepare for, and respond to hazardous events, trends, or disturbances related to climate change.
- By 2024, the City of Ashland will develop and implement a Plan for the sustainable management of City green spaces, furthering its commitment to the protection of our natural resources.
- By 2025, the City of Ashland will achieve 25% percent of the City’s total energy usage through renewable sources, resulting in reduced carbon emissions and kilowatt hours (kWh).
By 2025, in alignment with the Authentic Ashland Comprehensive Plan, the City will undergo additional lower, middle and upper-class housing units available for rent or purchase.
By 2023, the community will experience safe, livable and vibrant neighborhoods as evidenced by the 25% reduction in dilapidated housing within the City of Ashland.
By 2023, in an effort to reduce homelessness, through its collaborative partners the City will support the development of supportive housing alternatives.
By April 1, 2023, City of Ashland residents will better understand the value of what they are getting for their tax dollars through the development and delivery of an Annual Performance Report.
Beginning in January 2022, the City of Ashland will proactively develop collaborative relationships with neighboring Tribal Nations.
Beginning in January 2022, the City of Ashland will proactively develop collaborative relationships with adjoining Municipalities, Counties, Boards of Education, etc.