VPL opened November 16, 1888 on the corner of Vaughn Avenue and Main Street at 502 West Main Street. Emeline Patrick Vaughn provided funds to build the library in memory of her late husband, Samuel Stuart Vaughn, an early businessman in the Chequamegon Bay area. In 1888, the library operated on the 2nd floor of the building, with a dry goods store, F. J. Pool Company on the main floor. Today, the Vaughn Public Library operates on the first and second floors. The Friends of the Vaughn operate the Book Nook, selling books, music and more in the basement. The third floor of the building is currently home to several businesses and non-profit organizations.